Are you really allergic to avocado?
In the modern world, the avocado has become one of the most loved foods across the world. From Avocado on toast, to avocado ice-cream. But some of the people notice precise allergy to avocado.
There seems to be no end to the weird and wonderful creations coming to life using this amazing fruit. However, for a small portion of the population, the avocado is not an amazing source of protein and joy, it is instead the cause of itchiness, rashes, sneezing and pain.
These people are allergic to avocados, if you are reading this article, you are probably a member of this portion.
Also read this What Types Of Foods allergens Can Trigger Allergies ?
The question is : Can you be allergic to avocado?
Avocado Allergy Symptoms
There are 2 types of avocado allergy triggers :
1- Oral Allergy
The symptoms of an oral allergy (from eating, drinking or inhaling the fruit) are nothing too serious, and only lead to serious life-threatening conditions in very rare cases.
It is important to pick up on a reaction to avocado as early as possible to prevent symptoms such as :
- Itching (mostly in the eyes and mouth)
- Swelling all around the mouth and facial area and sometimes throat.
- Swallowing difficulties
- Pain in Stomach
- Scratchy throat
However, if you are allergic to avocado, you are most likely allergic to certain proteins found within the fruit.
This is another huge risk, as not only can these proteins be found in products other than avocados, the symptoms caused by these proteins in other sources can be far more serious than an oral allergy.
2- Latex Allergy
For example, some latex gloves contain certain proteins, many of which are found within an avocado fruit. Having a latex allergy to avocado can lead to more serious symptoms such as:
- Stomach and abdomen pain.
- Vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Itchy eyes
- Swelling of the lips
- Anaphylactic response
How to live with an avocado allergy
The most important thing you can do regarding your avocado allergy is to educate yourself and research it as much as possible.
Learn exactly what proteins you are allergic to within the avocado through your GP/doctors, and make sure you research what other products include these proteins so that you can limit or completely avoid these products so that you can avoid some of these products so that you aren’t at risk of facing some of the more serious symptoms.
How to tell if you might be allergic to avocado? (Diagnosis)
There are a few ways to tell if you are allergic to avocado without massively endangering yourself.
One way that you can do this is if you know your other allergies. If you are allergic to bananas or kiwis, there is an extremely high chance of you being allergic to avocados.
So, if you know, or have been shown that you are allergic to any of these fruits. It may be best for you to avoid avocados. Since these fruits share a lot of the same/similar proteins which may lead to extreme allergic reactions.
Another way you can test this is by having a small sample of avocado and seeing if you feel slightly itchy or inflamed.
The chances of allergy to avocado severely with a minuscule amount are greatly reduced. If you ensure that you have a medical professional at hand with an EpiPen, you will be almost completely safe from all risks.
There are few ways you to do for diagnosing when you go to the Doctor :
1) The patient is asked about his full medical history, and that if one of his relatives suffers from genetic susceptibility.
2) Blood test to check on antibodies.
3) Skin prick tests for allergies: Inject the arm with some of the ingredients in foods that are likely to cause allergies , and wait for the results.
Treatment & Precautions of Allergy Symptoms of Avocados: –
1) The patient should stop taking it.
2) Try to stay away from any other cause of allergies.
3) If any of the complications are present, the patient should be given adrenaline shot and then go to the nearest medical center quickly.
4) In average cases, antihistamines are good.
5) In some cases the doctor may need to use of medications containing cortisone.
6) Moisturizers can be used to relieve itching.
7) Avoid severe itching to avoid a bacterial infection, if it happened ,then you should take antibiotics to eliminate it, under medical supervision of course.
8) After you have cured yourself from the symptoms , you must be careful by following all the ingredients of what you eat.